Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

7 mo old doe who is wimpering and crying out. Wet under

Customer Question
chin......temp. is 102.9. Thinks it...
7 mo old doe who is wimpering and crying out. Wet under chin......temp. is 102.9. Thinks it could be a tummy ache. She"s been a bottle baby and has been inside. Ready to try soda water with therabloat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the doe's name?
Customer: Holly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: Been very active........her nose and mouth feel cold
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/6/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your sweet Holly does have a minor digestive disturbance and the first thing I would try is Pepto Bismol at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 6 hrs. If she is eating still, then also give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This temperature is not high for a doe but without knowing what may be causing Holly's discomfort, it would not hurt to cover her with Pencillin G available at the farm supply with the directions for use on the bottle. Give this for a couple days or until she is feeling better. If she is not eating, then give her Pedialyte every 6 hrs to be sure she remains hydrated while her body is attempting to fight off this discomfort. Unless she appears bloated, I would not use the Therabloat. If she is, also add in mineral oil to help neutralize the gas producing bacteria.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It makes sense but it comes too late....she died.

Oh my!! I am soo sorry! Maybe this will help for the next time....hopefully, there will not be a next time but best to be prepared.

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian