Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Goat down was attacked by a dog 7 days ago today unable to…

Goat down was attacked...

Goat down was attacked by a dog 7 days ago today unable to stand without assistance right side paralysis. Front and back head pulled to the right as well. I she has suffered a stroke

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goat's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She's 5 years old, she seems warm to the touch with signs of infection from her eyes and nose, will eat and drink if given to her.

11/5/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am quite concerned about Bella. All her signs together suggest inflammation or bleeding within the brain (likely on the left side). In this situation, you will want to have her on strong anti-inflammatories (ie Flunixin) to reduce brain swelling. Of course, if the dog broke the skin, we'd want her on antibiotics (ie Penicillin from the local farm supply). As well, you can see if the local farm supply also carries Terrmycin eye drops for her secondary bacterial conjunctivitis. Or at the very least you can flush her eyes 2-3 times daily with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. And if she is down, we will need to keep her deeply bedded with a view to turning her or helping her get up every 4-6 hours to avoid pressure sores. A sling can also be made or purchased to help her stand and keep her strength. But again we need her on anti-inflammatory to see if we can reduce these signs for her and give her a fighting chance.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you, ***** ***** doing all of the above as you described, she is take methylpredisolone and amoxicillin we will start the eye wash today. What type of time frame should we start see improvement or when we should consider havi by her put down for lack of improvement.