Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

I have a sheep that is off its food with what looks like a

Hi. I have a sheep...
Hi. I have a sheep that is off its food with what looks like a full belly and is pooing a sort of very dark green jelly/gel.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the sheep's name and age?
Customer: It doesn't have a mame and is say 4 or 5 years with twin 6 week old lambs
JA: What is the sheep's name?
Customer: It doesn't have a name.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the sheep?
Customer: It has been fed some linseed although I have used this for 20 odd years and never come accross this before but it might sort of tally with the fecal discharge as described when you think that linseed does contain or lead to mucillage I read once.
Answered in 1 day by:
10/17/2017
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your sheep has become "Bloated" which can be caused by stress or a higher than normal carbohydrate feed. The treatment for this is an anti inflammatory medication such as Banamine, available from your vet and Mineral oil, given at 1-2 cups every 6 hrs to help neutralize the gas producing bacteria. It is also good to attempt to pass a stomach tube to release this gas but often, it is best to have your vet do this. This can bean emergency so I would strongly recommend that , if possible, have your vet examine her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Loretta,Thanks you for your reply.So unfortunately the sheep died this morning so no urgency now. My experience with JustAnswer is that the reply is very quick so a bit surprised and disappointed having to wait till the following afternoon but that’s not your fault and anyway only a few hours after the 24 hrs terms of agreement. I should have called a vet instead of just waited but I don’t find my Vet very helpful altho’ a nice person and hoped that I’d get a better answer from JustAnswer.As I explained what was coming out is a loose very dark green gel/jelly which incidentally was sort of what was present in her mouth when she died. i.e. it wasn’t so much a gas bloat and only towards the end y/day evening was this the case. So is the mineral oil the right substance as an anti mucilage treatment given the specific effects that linseed would have? And if so or in the case where another substance was going to be used does it all resolve itself once a ‘blocage’ is relieved or is it more than that given its this mucilage problem? i.e. the stomach has sort of stopped working does more have to be done?Peter

Hi Peter. I am so sorry that your sheep passed away....there are fewer large animal vets on the service so often these cannot be answered until a Large animal vet is online...so I am also sorry about that. As for your questions, a blockage is very unlikely in sheep but certainly possible. An Ileus can occur which is a lack of the propulsion force of the intestinal tract and can cause everything to back up and promoting a bloat situation. A frothy bloat can cause a subsequent ileus, Petter, so that could be the problem and this can be caused by carbohydrates or even stress. Mineral oil is the proper anti mucilage ....hard to know, Petter if it was the bloat that caused the ileus or the other way around....all you can do is try but, in my many years, sheep are not very hearty and often cannot make it through treatment...I am so sorry! I hope that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Loretta,Thank you your reply. Yes I thought there might be a wait for a large animal Vet . My hope was that therefore I would get a good Vet that knew - I sort of lack confidence in my Vet tho' I should have got him but she was stable and I did not know what to put in to her given this mucillage thing. I was going to put in Epsom salts but thought I had better not till I knew. Now I know. So if I had carried on doing that as instructed and it had been an ileus would it all have cleared? Is that all you have to do, put in mineral oil and wait?
With an ileus, Peter, it will not clear even with the oil so we hope it does not get that far. It is also good to give an injection of an anti inflammatory such as Banamine to decrease the inflammation and try to start the intestinal tract moving again. This is always a tough one with sheep but it is always worth a try. Good luck and sorry again that I was so late. :-((
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome, Peter....you will do better next time!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Thank you so much, Peter, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Even though this experience did not have a favorable outcome, you have learned a valuable lesson and that is worth it!

Have a wonderful day, Peter!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian