Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My boar goat is 6-8 Mo old. Her lips are and her eyelids are…

Customer Question
My boar goat is 6-8...
My boar goat is 6-8 Mo old. Her lips are white and her eyelids are pinkish white and she cannot stand. She was dewormed about a month and 1/2 ago but some think worms are her problem now so I have given her deworming meds, probiotics, a B-12 shot, and electrolytes. Her BM and urine seem normal (no worms visible). She was fine on Wed and down on Fri a.m. and even though I’ve done all of the above, her condition seems unchanged
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
9/24/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Are her eyelids paler then usual for her or compared to other goats?

Has any testing been done?

Any appetite loss or does she seem sore anywhere?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

48 hrs of showing signs
Yes; eyelids /lips are white rather than the usual pink
No testing done
Doesn’t seems sore
Will eat out of my hand and drink anything given to her by syringe
Not exposed to anything but hay, measured amts of feed
Is in a pen with 2 other goats and a donkey; the rest are fine

Hello again,

Now the color of the inner eyelids are more reflective of an anemia then lip coloration. And to see anemia (low red blood cell levels) in a goat this age, worms is a #1 suspicion and can be complicated to diagnose without fecal testing due to variation in wormer resistance among the different worm types (and Ivermectin is seeing a lot of resistance). Therefore in this situation even if you aren't seeing them (they don't tend to pass unless dead, which would be a sign that any wormers used were effective), it is highly advisable to have a stool sample analysed. This can be taken into her vets even without her being seen. And at the same time they can check for signs of liver fluke since those won't be affected by straight Ivermectin. In the meantime, if she has just had a second dose of Ivermectin we cannot do much more for resistant worm concerns and are best to have that stool sample result before taking any further steps for that. Though that said, we would want to treat for flukes (ie Triclabendazole, Albendazole, Closantel, etc).

Otherwise, just to note, other common causes for anemia in young goats would include internal bleeding, stomach ulcers, blood parasites, some toxins (which sounds less likely) or bone marrow issues (less common). So, while I would hope that without any obvious signs internal bleeding could be considered less likely but it cannot be fully excluded. For those other concerns, we'd want a full check up with the local vet and bloods tested. Depending on which is present, we can target treatment for her and prevent any more red blood cell loss. Any delay and at least to reduce risk with ulcers, you could give milk of magnesia as this is a mucosa coating antacid. The dose for this would be 5ml for every 20 pounds of kid twice daily and do keep her eating as well as possible to prevent her stomach from being empty. Of course, the other treatments you are using are fine to continue. But again Ivermectin resistant worms is a top concern but otherwise these other differentials would need to be considered and addressed before we end up needing to give her a blood transfusion.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**