Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Dwarf Nigerian 6 months second time in 2 months he is

Customer Question
Dwarf Nigerian 6 months...

Dwarf Nigerian 6 months second time in 2 months he is constipated and now I noticed sneezing not sure why this keeps happening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dwarf Nigerian goat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the goat's name?

Tobi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tobi?

I feed him bloat eze not sure what else I can do I am new to goats

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
9/20/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. At his age, the most common reasons for constipation issues will be dietary (if her fiber intake is too low), secondary to worms (causing a partial blockage), or possible blockage if he ate something that cannot pass. Just to note, the sneezing isn't likely to be related and is more likely from dust in the environment (bedding, hay, etc), or a brewing airway infection (viral, bacterial).

With these in mind, we can start some supportive care. To start, for his stools, do make sure he is taking in enough hay/roughage. If there is any doubt (or if he isn't weaned yet), then we can increase his hay ratio or feed/syringe feed cooked/mashed squash or canned pumpkin as the fiber can help keep them regular. Alternatively, if he is very constipated, Milk of Magnesia is safe to use in goats and in high doses can act as a laxative. So, this is fine to use and you can give it via oral drench at a dose of 1 ml per 4 lbs of his weight every 6 hours until you see feces. Of course, if he is very constipated, then we may need to switch to carefully drenching mineral or vegetable oil ( at a dose of 1 ounce per 10 pounds every 4 hrs). And of course, when using any laxative or treated any constipation, remember that we need to keep them well hydrated. So, he needs to be encouraged to drink or we also will want to drench with an electrolyte solution like Resorb, Lectaid or even Pedialyte.

Otherwise, for his respiratory signs, we do need to keep an eye on those. If his hay is dusty, it can be soaked before feeding. And if he is in a dusty shed, we may need to improve ventilation or move him. As for those infectious concerns, do keep an eye on his temperature or development of any nasal discharge. In the meantime, we can start with steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in a large dog crate, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both. Furthermore, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Finally, if he has a temperature, we could consider using a broad spectrum antibiotic like Penicillin from the local feed store to see if we can nip this in the bud for Tobi. Of course, if his signs were to linger or he was feeling poorly with this (or couldn't pass urine --a male goat emergency) then we'd want to have his local vet check him for the above and start further antibiotics if needed to help him get back on track here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

.

Sorry to say with the delay I took my goat into a vet and it DIED because of a blockage his bladder ripped waiting for a response I will not be recommending your services