Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dad past away and we have a couple of cows, one is female…

Customer Question
My dad past away...

My dad past away and we have a couple of cows , one is female and has the loose stools

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cow's name and age?

No name about 2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cow's name?

Big moma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cow?

Don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
9/18/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see loose stools for a range of reasons. Common causes are bacterial infection viruses, protozoal or a parasitic agent.

With this in mind, there are some steps we can take. First, if Big Moma has not been wormed recently, that is a base to cover right off the bat. Ideally we'd want to use a good quality broad spectrum wormer (ie Fenbendazole/Safeguard) to remove any worms and this can help with some of the protozoal worries as well.

Further to that, we'd also want to try some supportive care for her. To do so, we can increase her dietary fiber/hay intake. As well, you can even supplement with fiber rich veggies (ie boiled/mashed squash, canned pumpkin, etc). The fiber in these will slow diarrhea, absorb fluid, and help try to normalize the feces. Or if she if very loose then you can also treat with OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 12 hours) to slow her diarrhea. If you are concerned about dehydration, you can also administer Pedialyte (2 ounces per 25 lbs of body weight every 4 hours) to maintain her hydration.

Finally, since we do have bacterial concerns, do take her temperature if you have not already and we can consider a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Penicillin) for bacterial concerns. Or if she doesn't, you could add in a cow specific probiotic to make sure the gut bacterial population remains as normal as possible. If we use these and can get her settled, we are happy. Though if we find her diarrhea lingers or is severe; then we'd want to have her local vet to test a stool sample for those above concerns (you could even submit that to them even without having them out to her). That way we can confirm the cause for her and ensure we target treatment effectively to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.