Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

What do you do for a lamb that has the runs and is getting

What do you do for a lamb that has the runs and is getting skinny

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, I'd first note that as am sure you can appreciate a change in stool consistency like this can be triggered by a range of issues. Most often it is an early stage sign of bacterial, viral, or protozoal/parasitic infection. As well, dietary indiscretion can also manifest this way.

With these all in mind and given that he is otherwise well in himself, we can try some supportive care. To start, it would be ideal worm him to exclude worms. Otherwise, we'd also want to increase the volume of dietary fiber (ie hay/roughage) you are feeding. Or if he is still on the bottle, you can syringe feed or add in canned (or boiled/mashed) pumpkin as a fiber source. The fiber will slow the stools moving though the gut to encourage the GI to absorb fluid, and to bulk up loose stool. Further to this, if he is quite runny with this, you can also treat with OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 8 hours). While doing this, if you are worried about dehydration, you can also administer an electrolyte solution (ie Resorb, Lectaid, Pedialyte) at a dose of 2 ounces per 25 lbs of body weight every 4 hours to maintain his hydration as we aim to nip this in the bud. Of course, if this lingers or he gets looser, then we'd want a fecal sample to his vet to test for infectious agents so we can target treatment for him since getting the stools settled will allow him to resorb more nutrients and get that weight back on.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would you use as a deformed?

Hello again,

I assume you mean wormer and generally speaking I lean to Safeguard/Fenbendazole since it is well tolerated and can be used quite young.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.