Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Week old calf one cloudy eye not nursing but will ta, Take a

Customer Question

Week old calf one cloudy eye not nursing but will ta
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the calf's name and age?
Customer: Take a bottle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the calf?
Customer: Move fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he had these signs?

Any discharge or ulcer associated with the eye?

Any chance of trauma?

Any fever, coughing or sneezing?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is clear discharge other than that the calf has yet to nurse from
The mother it seems fine it will take a bottle we did give the calf two bottles closturm and have started two feeding a day with calf milk suplemement
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see you did intervene and give colostrum. We can see some calves struggle or be less than keen to nurse when they have reduced eyesight. So, we may need to guide this little one to mum or keep bottle feeding for the short term. That aside, in regards ***** ***** eye, our main worries here would be possible trauma (from mum, stray straw or even damage when being delivered -if it has been present since birth) or bacterial infection (ie Moraxella bovis).

In this case, we'd want to start by flushing this with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. After we can apply OTC Terramycin eye drops from the local farm supply shop. Usually we use these twice daily for 7-10 days. If it starts to settle we are happy. If it does not (or there is a severe ulcer), then we'd want the local vet to assess as some cases do need corneal repair drops to heal the damage +/- conjunctival grafts. Though as you didn't note an ulcer, we'd hope those won't be needed and that we can use the above to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks will try the treatment you suggested. Thanks,
Btw you from the UK, your use of mum had me question
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

You are spot on there as I am based in Scotland :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.