Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My goat got attacked by our dog about 2 weeks ago. No open…

Customer Question
My goat got attacked...

My goat got attacked by our dog about 2 weeks ago. No open wounds. Just pounced on. Since then she isn't eating and weak. We brought her to the vet. He gave her work meds, antibiotics and vitamins. He said she needs to eat to make the meds work. We have been giving her formula but her belly is just really bloated now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your goat bleeding a lot?

No blood at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the goat's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

Well she also now isn't pooping. Except for an occasional greenish blob. Small. We were advised to give her milk of mag to get her belly working. It hasn't done anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
9/7/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I cannot see Bailey's age listed, but if she is post-weaning then the formula you are giving could be upsetting her gut microflora leading to this gassy bloating. Therefore, we may need to stop the formula and stick to electrolyte solutions (ie Lectaid, Resorb, etc) for the moment. Food-wise, we need to address the bloat first then can drench veggie baby food or using a liquid diet (usually available OTC at the farm supply store). (One could also puree hay/pelleted feed and make a paste with water to syringe feed if need be). In any case, we do often use Milk of Magnesia but make sure you are drenching a dose of at least 1 ml per 4 lbs of her weight every 6 hours until you see feces. Of course, if you have been and that isn't working then consider switching to carefully drenching mineral or vegetable oil ( at a dose of 1 ounce per 10 pounds every 4 hrs). This will help get her stool moving but also help reduce the gas distending her. There are also OTC anti-bloat products again at most farm supply shops +/- use can drench with activated charcoal as another means to reduce her bloat as we try to get the feces moving. And once we do, I suspect her appetite will improve, else the above diet options would need to be started as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian