CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a mini pot belly pig A female that isn't fixed who

Customer Question

I have a mini pot belly pig A female that isn't fixed who started nesting behavior yesterday. Which is very weird for her. But today she started to limp a bit and we cut her hooves. Didn't see any injury but she is wanting to my in her lil best she built and not get up. She does not have a fever and she is extra extra moody. My daughter moved to college a month ago. Do u think she is depressed? My daughter and I are her favorites but I work a lot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Lila and she is 3. She refuses to stand. Would rather sit. Seems something is wrong with her back legs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lila?
Customer: She ate today but had to be encouraged to do so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Amber Hinson replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. I am Dr. Hinson and I'd like to try and help.

Can you tell me how old Lila is?

If you get her up will she walk or is she dragging the hind legs? Just weak?

What does her diet consist of?

How long have you owned her?

Any chance she could have had any trauma?

Has she ever had any vaccines? Exposure to other pigs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is 3. No other pigs around. Our last vet did not give her vaccines so she has not had any. She eats potbelly pig pellets. She will sit and try and get up. Her right front hoof looks a bit inflamed but she is putting pressure on it. She stays in a sitting position mostly. She has very long hooves due to not allowing us to trim them very well. She isn't getting up to eat but sometimes she does. She seems to be in pain. She is now making a soft grunting noise at times.

Are you able to post a photo of the swollen foot? It sounds like all her symptoms are related to that. We like to think they are so attached to us that they would be depressed when we (or your daughter) are not around but really, that is unlikely. If a pig is not eating it is often from some time of illness. If there is swelling there most likley and infection is going on. She may have a hoof abscess.

If you have a vet you use you should really have them out to examine her. It is very difficult for me to give much advice without seeing her or examining her myself. I can only guess based on the information you give me. So, I would have your vet examine her for sure. Lila likely needs to be sedated to get her hooves trimmed properly and to check for an abscess.

In the meantime I can give you some ideas that may help her.

1. Soak the foot in warm Epsom salt water, 10 minutes 3 times per day. If there is an abscess present that may help to draw it out.

2. Keep her in a VERY dry area. Any moisture will make the abscess worse.

3. You can give her aspirin but I would only give one dose until the vet comes out. You don't want to mask any signs but at least this way she can get some relief. Use BUFFERED aspirin, 5mg per pound of body weight given with food. Example: if she is 70 pounds she would need 350mg; the buffered aspirin is 325mg so I would give her one tablet. You will need to round to the nearest 1/4 tablet as it will be hard to get an exact dose. If she is in between doses I would suggest you go lower, not higher. If you need help with dosing let me know.

Hello. Just checking in if you received my reply.

Do you have another questions? How is Lila today?