Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a 5 month old baby goat, when she arrived here she

Customer Question

Hi I have a 5 month old baby goat, when she arrived here she was underweight and sickly looking. I started her on fortified b injections everyday 1cc, Baycox for Coccidia 1cc per 5lbs, bose 1cc per 40lbs.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the baby?
Customer: My question is she started having very runny stool so I started her on SMZ tabs 1/4 two times a day
JA: What is the baby's name?
Customer: I would like to give her 5cc of Bove Sera to boost her immunities but I can''t find out online if there is any interaction with the SMZ tabs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?
Customer: Josie
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is eating and drinking fine and the watery stool has subsided. I started the SMZ tabs 2 days ago, she has had 4 doses. the Baycox was given two weeks ago
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to mention she was wormed when she first arrived here three weeks ago with an Ivermectin injection and again last week which was 14 days later.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you can use Bovi Sera with the SMZ as the two won't interact. Though further to that, I'd just note that to we can also add a few more treatment options to slow that diarrhea for Josie. Specifically, if she is weaned, do make sure she has access to good quality fiber (to bulk up her feces). And if you see any more loose stool, you can plan to treat her a small dose of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol. Generally, speaking, we tend to give 1 milliliters per 10 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, with all the treatment and antibiotics she has been on thus far, do make sure to put her onto probiotics to support her good gut bacteria. And if you have any worries of worm resistance (something we sadly are seeing more often with Ivermectin), do have a stool sample checked in case we need to use an alternative wormer to get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**