Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My pot belky pig had a bad sunburn and has blisters all over…

Customer Question
My pot belky pig...

My pot belky pig had a bad sunburn and has blisters all over i have been wiping off dirt and putting on neosporin i have also given her asprin for pain and as of yesterday benedryl (not with asprin) she is scratching her sores and reopening them. She has also become lethargic only getting up to eat and potty i think she may need an antibiotic not sure what to do. Our vet is out for another 2 weeks i contacted another vet but he is too far to take her to

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pig?

Not that i can think of shes usually a happy and ornery 8 year old pig

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
7/30/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What doses of each are you giving? How often?

What is her weight?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

She is about 75-80 lbs. For the asprin i was giving her 4 81mg 2x day and yesterday i gave her 75 mg benedryl (3 25 tablets) 1x in the afternoon after i saw her scratching and open a few sores. These were taken on thursday sorry its hard to see then she moves quickly
IMG_20170730_065856_323.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170730_065817_857.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170730_065954_938.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170730_065931_570.jpgIMG_201...jpg

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care here. It is understandable that she is lethargic as this will be painful for her. In regards ***** ***** care, I would just note that there is no indication to use Benadryl. It won't help with itching from this, as it is for allergies. Plus its not ideal to use as it can upset the gut and could cause some of her lethargy. So, that can be stopped at this point.

Otherwise, we need to keep up on the Aspirin if you don't have the option to obtain a stronger pet safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Carprofen, Flunixin, etc). For dosing, if she is ~75lbs, then the dose is right there but make sure to give it after food to avoid stomach upset/ulcers. Furthermore, with their metabolism we usually use this every 6-8 hours. And to avoid infection, if you cannot reach her vet, then do check your local farm supply shop as they often carry injectable Penicillin (12,000 i.u. per pound of body weight daily) which could be used for her.

As for the burns, we need to be sing topical care. To do so, you can start by gently cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a tshirt and boxer shorts on her to cover the skin and protect it from the elements and her scratching.

Overall, we need to adjust that treatment for her at this point. So, we'd want to make the above changes to make sure we are keeping her as pain free as we can but also to head off any risk of infection as we try to get her skin healed here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok thank you. I will go to our farm store and see what i can get and put on a shirt after her cleanings as she tolerates it. Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

That would be ideal so we can cover all bases and avoid secondary infection causing her skin more trouble.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian