Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

We have a cow who gave birth Friday and still has not stood

Customer Question

we have a cow who gave birth Friday and still has not stood up. the calf has died
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the calf?
Customer: we have continued to pull her up with our tractor and strapps shes eating drinking and keeping her head up and keeps trying to get up.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the head. What is the head's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** shes is around a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Name?
Customer: i have giving her a couple doses of Dyne and b12
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does she have any voluntary movement in her back legs?

Any feeling (you can poke the leg with a needle to check that, though of course be careful)?

Any appetite loss, drooling, tremors, or does she seem mentally dull?

Any discharge/pus from the vagina? Any fever?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
SHe still trying to get up she does seem to have numbness in her hind legs
Very much an appetite and drinking water
Yes she does seem to have a small amout of mucus discharge
She seems to have a lot of energy for a cow down no drooling no tremors
No fever
If I didn't know better I would think she was just resting
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I am sorry to hear that she seems numb in her hind legs as that puts obturator nerve paralysis from excessive nerve pressure during delivery to the top of our list for her (where ketosis, low calcium and magnesium would be other concerns given the lack of septic signs). In this case, while we could supplement for those others minerals I noted, our main focus is going to be trying to reduce nerve inflammation in hopes we can help her get function back. Now predicting the duration of recumbency is very difficult. Some cows can regain her feet within 2 weeks, but some may never recover. Still to give her a chance, we'd want to start her on a potent anti-inflammatory (ie Flunixin, Dexamethasone) for inflammation and move her to a deeply bedded pen. Ideally, we do like to get them up in a sling as much as we can to reduce the risk of pressure sores (we can turn them but have to do so with care) and keep optimal circulation to the legs. And hopefully if we can get that inflammation down she will regain leg use, though again if she doesn't within 2 weeks then her prognosis for doing so would become poor.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is there someplace i can pick up these anti inflammatory or do you need to send in a prescription
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You can see if your local feed store carry them, else you would need to ring your local vet about them.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.