Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My goat was spooked the other day and ran to the end of her…

Customer Question
Hi, my goat was...

Hi, my goat was spooked the other day and ran to the end of her tether and landed rather heavily.......she had obviously hurt her leg, I am sure it was down near her hoof...couldn't feel anything wrong, she let me touch and feel etc.......was being careful walking, but still doing so.....she is now holding her leg up really high and not using it much at all......how can I work out if she has a break or just a sprain etc and do you have any ideas on what I can do to help her....please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the goat's name and age?

Nanny...and I'm not sure of her age....

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Nanny ...?

I don't know....

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nanny ...?

She is still eating and drinking well and I have contained her so she isn't moving too much

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
4/2/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. In regards ***** ***** question, determining which issue we have present will depend on a combination of examination to feel for breaks and response to pain relief. At home, we'd want to have a good feel of the leg for any boney instability, boney crunching, or areas of severe swelling. Otherwise, we'd want to consider keeping her in a deeply bedded small pen with easy access to food/water and treating with Banamine (1ml per 50lbs every 24 hours). Do avoid using Aspirin as the blood thinning effects mean its contraindicated with possible trauma. And if we have a strain, a few days of rest and pain relief often will settle them down. Though if this lingers, then we'd need her checked by the local vet for more severe issues like fractures.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )