CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

She is not yet a year old and was apparently very close to

Customer Question

She is not yet a year old and was apparently very close to the young son of the person who sold her. We brought her home and slowly introduced her to our own established goats, one of which was quite nasty to her and had to be seperated sometimes until finally little Sunny was tolerated. Sunny has been wormed but she has become very thin, while still eating. She isn't a big eater though. Is their anything more we can do? We don't want to lose her as she is a very friendly loving little creature
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the goat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the goat's name?
Customer: Her name is***** was Sunday and she answered to that but we didn't really like it so we got as close to that as possible. She also had overgrown hoofs when we got her which caused foot rot. We cut back her toes and treated the rot with copper sulphate. that seems to have worked on her foot, but we are reallyu worried about her weight. That was done only a few days ago, could it still be that?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?
Customer: Only that she is very docile and not very active. I really hope we haven't bought a sick goat. She seemed ok when we first got her, except for her toes. That had definitely been neglected.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does she appear to be actively losing weight since you took her on?

What wormer was she given?

What are you feeding her? Is this what they were offering?

Any scours?

Are her inner eyelids pink or pale/white?