Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I'm having to bottle feed a baby goat born Dec, 23 and she

Customer Question

I'm having to bottle feed a baby goat born Dec, 23 and she has diarrhea and I was wondering what I could do for her to stop it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the baby's name and age?
Customer: Amber and born Dec, 23
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Amber?
Customer: no she is doing fine other than the diarrhea
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if Amber has diarrhea, we do need to tread with care since kids are high risk of dehydration.

Therefore, we'd want to start supportive care as we work to get to the root of this. To start, if she is being bottle fed, individual and thus can cause diarrhea. As well, check that you are making it the right concentration since that too can precipitate diarrhea.

Further to this, we will need to rule out infectious issues (ie bacterial, viral, parasites, protozoa). Therefore, we may need to consider having a stool sample tested by her local vet to check for these and ensure we are able to target treatment effectively.

Though otherwise, we'd want to make sure we are supporting her gut, keeping her hydrated, and slowing this diarrhea itself. For that, we'd want to alternate between mild feeding and electrolytes. Further to that, we'd want to also slow the diarrhea itself. To do so, we’d need to either start Kaolin/Kaopectate (which can be purchased as a powder at your local farm supply store along with the probiotics) or Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of body weight every 8 hr) for a few days. These should slow diarrhea, support gut nutrient absorption . And we can also consider starting her on a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Spectinomycin, Penicillin) to counter common bacterial agents.

Overall, when we see diarrhea in kids this young, we need to act quick to settle it before it can take a toll on them. So, we'd want to start the above and consider having a stool sample tested. That way we can slow the diarrhea and ensure we nip it in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )