Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My 10 months old female kiko goat has diarrea for over 2

Customer Question

my 10 months old female kiko goat has diarrea for over 2 weeks, what to give her?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Mili!

Diarrhea in the young goat can really take a toll if it is allowed to persist for weeks on end. Now in regards ***** ***** question, we need to be very proactive for her since she is at risk of energy/nutrient losses (which can make her weak and lose weight) and dehydration. With this in mind, the best first step would be to have a fecal sample analysed. You can take this to her vet even without a visit for her and they can check for infectious agents (ie protozoa, parasites, bacteria, viruses). Depending on that, you will know what is triggering her signs and thus how we need to treat to get this settled.

Otherwise, we do need to work on supportive care for Mili. To start, we'd want to increase her dietary fiber (ie more hay, supplementing/syringe feeding canned pumpkin) to bulk up her stools and give them form. As well, since diarrhea in these animals is often related to imbalances in that critical gut bacteria, we'd also want to start her on an OTC ruminant probiotic. And if she is very runny you could also start Kaolin/Kaopectate (usually OTC as a powder at most farm supply shops) to coat the gut and firm the feces. Or you could in a pinch use Pepto Bismol at a dose of 1ml per 10lbs of her weight and this can be given 3 times daily.
Finally, since 2 weeks of diarrhea does raise worries of dehydration, we may need to address that too. So, if her eyes are sunken, skin tents when lifted, or she has sticky gums, we may need to supplement the fluids we try to get her to drink. If she isn't drinking at all, then I would note that for every 10 lb (5 kg) of body weight, she will need ¼ to ½ litres of fluid a day as normal maintenance fluid intake. Obviously, she will need more to match the losses from scouring, but this is a good start to keeping her from dehydrating/starving. So, use this as your baseline and then add in an equivalent volume to the diarrhea losses (and minus what she drinks on her own). And she will need this divided up over 3+ feedings, so as not to overfill her stomach. If you haven't stomach tubed a goat before, you can find some good guidelines ( http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/stomachtubing.html) or you can pop over HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL0k398r2j4&feature=related) to see a video on how to pass esophageal feed a calf (the video is showing a calf but it’s the same principal). You can usually find these feeders at your local feed store and they are quite useful to have on hand for cases like this. Of course, if she is drinking an equivalent amount to this, we'll not push fluids but I did want to outline that just in case.

Overall, if she hasn't responded to that antibiotic then it just tells us that her diarrhea isn't due to a bacteria that is sensitive to that antibiotic. So, a stool sample would be best at this point so we don't have to guess which agent is causing this. And otherwise supportive care is the cornerstone of helping these wee ones through these situations.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )