CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

Our 4 year old 600lb pig appears to be bleeding form her

Customer Question

Our 4 year old 600lb pig appears to be bleeding form her backside Her back end & tale is covered in blood and there is a spot large spot in her hay where she sleeps. She has a gooey discharge hanging on her back side
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the pig. What is the pig's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: She is in the barn , there are no other pigs, her appetites has been fine and she appears to be drinking okay, This morning she took some coaxing to get up and ate only a couple pieces of a roll I offered to her.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

How much blood is she passing? A spoonful, cupful, etc?

Is the blood from her rectum or vagina? Is it mixed with the discharge?

Any diarrhea, urination, or is she straining to pass either?