Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

I have a 15lb 2 month old pot belly with a fever of 107.2

Customer Question

I have a 15lb 2 month old pot belly with a fever of 107.2 and has not eaten today.ant ideas the closest emergency vet that cares for pigs is 2 hours away
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 12 months ago.

Lots of things can cause fevers in pigs, including joint infections, stomach ulcers, endocarditis (heart infection), potentially even a tooth infection.

When pigs don't eat, they are very at risk for stomach ulcers. You can use some cool rags to decrease the fever for right now. Would be best to get the pig to the vet as soon as possible.

Is the pig having any other symptoms?

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We had a vet come out gave medication reduce fever and started pcn IM bid thank you
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The vet gave her banamine and it only lasted about 3 hours next dose is due 12 hours from now is there anything I can safely give her that is not contraindicated with the banamine temp is back up to 106.1,came down to 105 with cool bath cloth she just started sneezing and has discharge from both eyes

Poor piggie! I'm sorry I was away from the computer yesterday. How is she now? Aspirin is safe to use in piggies but it often does not help much with fever. There are NSAIDS that can be used in addition for fever that your vet can prescribe.

Give us an update when you get time!

Dr. Snow

Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 11 months ago.
Hi Bobbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bobbie Richardson. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-l1pkyf4n-