Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My alpaca has had weepy left eye, it cleared up with some

Customer Question

My alpaca has had weepy left eye, it cleared up with some optho ointment. Now the same eye is thick cloudy white and swollen...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the alpaca's name and age?
Customer: Jasper, 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?
Customer: He has also been wheezing. It seemed to go away when the humidity dropped.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Jasper's relapse here. If it is thick/cloudy then that suggests quite severe corneal swelling (edema), which will be quite sore for him. As well, to see the return of the discharge, it tells us that the bacterial cause isn't fully sensitive to what you used. Therefore, you may need to use an alternative broad spectrum antibiotic ointment (twice daily for 7-10 days). Otherwise, we'd want to consider having his vet swab the eye to culture the bacteria present. Once we can ID the bacteria, a sensitivity can be done to tell us what drugs it is vulnerable to and help us ensure we are targeting this as effectively as possible before any ocular scarring can occur.

Otherwise, if he is intermittently wheezy, this needs to be approached with care. If it is weather related, he may have a sensitive airway perhaps from the pollens, dust from any bedding and hay he is fed. Of course, this also raises concerns of a low grade airway infection (viral, bacterial, or related to lungworm). So, do make sure he is up to date on worming, consider using low dust bedding and/or soaking any hay fed. Otherwise, if this persists as the humidity drops, then a check up would be ideal so that we can rule out those infectious agents and nip this in the bud for him. Though for the moment, the key here will be to address that eye since that edema is a mark of this getting quite severe and eyes are too delicate to risk.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have set an appt with the vet. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I do feel that is safest especially since eyes are so delicate.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doc came out, Jasper had managed to poke himself in the eye. He got a few shots and his eye lid sewn shut. Hopefully he will I'll heal, and possibly have a bit of vision left in that eye. Time will tell.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update,

Poor lad! Though I am glad to hear that he didn't puncture the eye outright. Hopefully the laceration will heal with this treatment and if it does, then we'd expect him not to lose vision but only have a bit of "obstruction" where any scar tissue may lie.

Best wishes for Jasper,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )