How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Erin Brown Your Own Question
Erin Brown
Erin Brown,
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 8
Experience:  Owner at Brown Veterinary Services
Type Your Large Animal Veterinary Question Here...
Erin Brown is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a four year old Boer doe who weighs 180 lbs. I took

Customer Question

I have a four year old Boer doe who weighs 180 lbs. I took her for an outside breeding in July, she bred on July 13th. A bad storm blew thru and drop temps from 100 to 85 in about 20 minutes with temps in 60s that night. She had fever of 106.5 gave banemine and nuflor (over 5 days). Started to improve and we brought her home on July 21. That evening she spiked a fever of 106.5 and I gave banemine and started another 5 day course of Nuflor, along with vitamins a, d, e & b complex and probiotics, feeding her fresh leaves and anything else she would eat. Still had congestion sounds and rattle breathing at completion of Nuflor. Called local vet, they had me give her a shot of
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the doe's name?
Customer: Anna,
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Anna?
Customer: Sorry yes. Our local vet then gave her a shot of Exceed. She seemed to be improving over the last 10 days, but she has gone backwards and has had a fever of 105.3 . I have given her banemine and started a course of Nuflor again. She is breathing hard. She does not sound as congested and her breathing is not rattling any longer. Also I have been drenching her with ensure for the last 5 days 180 cc per day divided into 3 doses and 60 cc of pedialyte in the evenings. I have also been giving her benedryl 10cc twice a day to try to relieve the congestion. Thank you for any suggestions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 1 year ago.
Hey. It sounds like you are doing everything medically for her. Usually i would treat her for a minimum of 10 days with antibitoics. Nuflur is a wonderful drug and if it hasnt cleared up the pneumonia then i would look at naxcel and exceede. If your vet can take xrays of chest i would recommend it as well. The gold standard would be to do a tracheal wash on her and see what organsim she has growimg inside her lungs and choose the appropriate drug for her. I hope this helps and she improvesDr. Erin Brown
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Erin Brown