Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

My 14 week old pig is coughing and now wheezing. He stills

Customer Question

My 14 week old pig is coughing and now wheezing. He stills eats and doesn't act sick. Is there anything I can do for him to help him get better.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the pig's name?
Customer: Bobby.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bobby?
Customer: No, he isn't acting sick just wheezing and coughing. His two pig mates are fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Bobby's troubles. Symptoms like this can be indicative of a lot of things. Pigs can have allergies or get irritation of dust or feeds. They can also get bacterial or viral infections that can cause coughing or sneezing.

Some things you can try is to give him a course of antibiotic such as LA-200 or penicillin. LA-200 would be the first choice and should be available at most feed stores. The dose is on the bottle. Penicillin could be tried as well at a dose of 1.5 cc per 20 lbs once a day for 5 days.

You can also try to reduce dust in his pen and feed by wetting down with a hose.

If he gets any worse, stops eating, develops a fever or nasal discharge or if the other pigs start to show any signs, it would be time to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you might have. Thank you and good luck!