Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

One year old pot belly, been find this morning he has some

Customer Question

One year old pot belly, been find this morning he has some diarrhea
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhea look like?

Any fever?

How is his appetite and drinking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Loss poops ate his food and drank water thie morning, don't think he got into anything yesterday, he is inside and on patio, give him greens, carrots, apples as treats
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Hank isn't likely to have eaten something harmful. Though with that aside, as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea arise in our pigs for a range of reasons. This can include bacterial (ie Salmonella, E.coli, Clostridia, etc), viral, parasitic (not just worms but protozoa like coccidia, giardia, cryptosporidia, etc), nutritional, and toxic causes (that last one again thankfully less likely here).

Now with this in mind, we do need to tread with care and would want to initiate supportive care to prevent any complications (ie dehydration, weight loss, etc) from this. To start, we can plan to increase dietary fiber (ie canned pumpkin, brown rice, or all bran added to his food) to bulk up his stools. As well, it'd be ideal to supplement with an OTC probiotics to ensure his good gut bacteria are at optimum.

As well, if you feel he is becoming dehydrated (sunken eyes, sticky gums, skin tenting), then we may need to also syringe feed an electrolyte solution (ie Pedialyte) to keep him hydrated and replenish the electrolytes he’s been losing in his diarrhea.

Further to this, if the stools are very runny, we’d need to either start Kaolin/Kaopectate (which can be purchased as a powder at your local farm supply store or as a liquid at most pharmacies). Alternatively, you could try him on Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of his body weight every 8 hr) for a few days.

Of course, if you try this and he doesn't respond over the weekend, then benign upsets are less likely and we'd need to get the local vet involved. Ideally, we'd want them to examine him and have a fecal sample checked at that stage. If you collect a fresh sample, this is something that you can have your vet analyze for the aforementioned infections agents. Depending on the findings here, you will be able to target treatment appropriately and clear this as effectively and economically as possible.

Overall, there are a number of concerns for this diarrhea. Therefore, we’d want to initiate the above just now for Hank. Though if we don’t see this settling over the next 24-48 hours, then a check up and fecal testing would be best at that point.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vickie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hank. How is everything going?

Dr. B.