Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

My female goat is about 1 1/2 years old. She had two kids in

Customer Question

My female goat is about 1 1/2 years old. She had two kids in February 2, 2016. She hasn't been feeling well for the last four days.
Will penecillan help.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the goat?
Customer: Her boobs are not hard.
JA: Where does the goat seem to hurt?
Customer: I lifted the back of her neck for dehydration and skin was elastic. She looks like she has a headache.
JA: OK. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the goat's name?
Customer: Wedda. How can I take her to a vet
JA: Huh? Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wedda?
Customer: I have never had a goat before. Don't know what to look for
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Wedda's troubles. Penicillin will only help if there are signs of an infection, such as fever, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, vaginal discharge, hot, painful udder, or joint stiffness. If she looks like she has a headache, there could be some sinus congestion. A lot of times with this, you will hear it when she breathes. If that is the case, you can try penicillin at a dose of 7-8 ml per 100lbs given in the muscle once a day for 5-7 days. Be aware this may cause diarrhea in the kids which should go away once the penicillin is stopped.You can also try giving her aspirin to help with any pain or inflammation associated. The dose would be 4500 mg per 100 lbs which comes out to 14 (325mg) tablets once to twice a day. You can also give her probiotics, like yogurt, to help stabilize her digestive system during these treatments.If she is not better in 2-3 days, or gets worse, it would be time to see a vet.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!