Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

My goat is acting like he isdrunk JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question
my goat is acting like...
my goat is acting like he isdrunk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: we took a quick check was happen and bouncoing last night
JA: What is the goat's name and age?
Customer: charlie thunder and about a week old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie Thunder?
Customer: inside at night outside during day on milk replacer still eating
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
5/7/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience: Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Charlie Thunder's troubles. I have a few questions for you: Are any of his joints or naval swollen or hot? Any muscle rigidity? Do you know if his mother had proper copper supplementation?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not that i can tell he looks normal an feels normal
he seems t be good on the muscle part
not sure bout his mother he had three feedings from her then she passed away he was great till this morning we have give him some vit D an slowly seems to b responding better
Thank you for the information. That is what I would suggest is getting him some selenium/vitamin E and possibly a dose of copper. A deficiency in any of these can lead to nervous system dysfunction that would cause this drunken ataxia. Swollen joints would suggest either CAE or joint ill from a naval infection. Typically with those, they don't feel well though. Give him the supplements and then watch him for any other signs such as decreased appetite, diarrhea, or change in mentation. Any of these signs would suggest an infection and he would need antibiotics.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
I was just checking in on your little kid. Any improvement?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
as time went buy he got worse and i think he give up that night was talking with a neighbor an from what he said it was already to late
Thanks for your time and effort
we may hold off on any more pets for a little while
I'm very sorry to hear that. Please let me know if I can be any help in the future.
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian