Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a pet lamb about 10kg, who I think may have pneumonia.

Customer Question

hello, I have a pet lamb about 10kg, who I think may have pneumonia. She is being kept warm, and her appetite has improved in the last 8 hours. I don't have any penicillin on hand and was wondering if she can have aspirin, and if so how much?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the lamb?
Customer: Two days ago, she became very lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink, and had a very snotty nose. Her breathing was quite laboured last night, although has improved this arvo. She is one of a twin and has struggled from the start
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the lamb. What is the lamb's name?
Customer: her name is George
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?
Customer: not really, 10wks old, vacced 2wks ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. If your lass has pneumonia, then aspirin isn't going to be if much benefit. In fact, using it could actually do more harm since our young ones are more prone to associated stomach ulcers when this medication is used and when they may not be eating properly. So I would not recommend Aspirin here. Instead it would be much better for George if you seek out Penicillin or Oxytetracycline from your local farm supply or vet. That way we can tackle this suspect infection and give her a fighting chance. As well, if you are not already, we'd want to be steam treating her with a humidifier or a steamy showe. As well, just to note, if you do get local vet involved, they can also dispense lamb safe bronchodilators and decongestants to help her breathe comfortably as she fights this off. Please take care,Dr. B