Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

What is a good remedy bloat? (Older pygmy) she's up

Customer Question
What is a good remedy...
What is a good remedy for goat bloat? (Older pygmy) she's up & walking,we gave her 1/4cup veg oil & massaged sides,later let her lick some baking soda,she had a couple burps after oil seems to stay the same now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
4/11/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience: Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about your goat's troubles. You are doing everything exactly right. You can repeat the oil, sometimes mineral oil works better because it isn't broken down at all by the digestive system. DSS (dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate) is a surfactant that can help break down the foam as well. You can mix this with the mineral oil and administer orally. It is sold as a human and animal laxative and an animal anti bloat product. The human product is usually called Colace. You can also give her about 1/2-1 TBSP baking soda mixed with water or molasses. Exercise will also help move the gas through faster.If she still is uncomfortable after these treatments, you may need to pass a stomach tube or use a trochar to relieve the excess gas. Neither of these should be performed unless you are comfortable doing so. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian