Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My husband feed sth wild deer each day... We live in Southern

Customer Question

My husband feed sth wild deer each day... We live in Southern Wisc. on 4.5 acres, by Lake Benidict. One day about 3 weeks ago, a deer was joined with 4 or 5 others to feed, and his leg was broke it looked like.. We called Fellow Mortals ( a wild life rescue in our area) and they said, "his leg will fall off and he will be fine... there are many 3 legged deer running around." Now it's 3.5 week sater.. he arrives about every 2 days, his leg is dragging, all dried up, his knee is very large.. He walks on his knee. Now he has about 20 yards of pretty thick wire around his neck.. as he looks like he got caught in a fence or something..and he's tripping on the wire.. We don't know what to do.. we are afraid to try to befriend it and get it to a vet because we don't want to spook the last breath he might have in him.. What can I do for this strong sweet animal??
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. What needs to be done is someone with a tranquilizer gun needs to come out, shoot him and then give him care for this, otherwise he will die a slow death.....Try calling the college of veterinary medicine in your state. They have an exotics department and may be able to come out or know someone who can help you with this.Here is a link to their page. http://uwveterinarycare.wisc.edu/small-animal/exotic-species/Best of luck to you, I hope you are able to get help for him. Sincerely, ***** ***** rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question and I ma happy to provide follow up answers. Thank you very much! I will check back with you tonight to see if you have questions. After today, I will be out of the country for 1 week.