Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

I am so glad to be able to ask someone about this. We have a

Customer Question
Hey, I am so...
Hey, I am so glad to be able to ask someone about this. We have a show steer (just learning). He was super friendly and allowed my twelve year old to halter him and walk him I from the fieldsAfter we trimmed him (made a real mess of it - way to close) anytime we barely touch his back he recoils and falls to his back legs. When we started trimming we noted that we would bend his back (recoil) from the brush. Our pens are in horrible shape - lots of areas with foot deep mud. Also we have witness the other steer mounting this one. What are your thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, but he has never had issue with messing with his hooves. Only his back
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the steer's name?
Customer: Ant Man. He's smaller to match my son (.:
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Man?
Customer: Not as big an eater as the other steer. We've had to feed them together because of pen limitations
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
3/30/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so happy for your 12 yr old to have this nice tempered steer. The fact that another steer was mounting him is normal. This is not a sexual thing but a dominance issue between them and often they will mount each other for reasons that you do not know. There may be some sore spots on Ant Mans back from the mounting that have been exacerbated by the trimming. At the same time, a brush over these areas probably has caused the steer to be sensitive and cause his reaction to this.

Since he is a show steer, it would be better to keep him isolated so the other steers cannot mount him and he will get used to the trimming and brushing once the pain is gone. it is best to continue after a week of not messing with Ant Mans back, to keep up the brushing so he is used to it. The pain will stop and he will be fine.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian