Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My Kune Kune pig has what appears to be an abscess on s left…

Customer Question
Hi my Kune Kune...

Hi my Kune Kune pig has what appears to be an abscess on his left side of snout. I am literally leaving out of the country on a trip. Is there something I can have my sister-in-law (caring for pets while I'm gone) do for him to help him until I can come back and take him in if he needs a toothe removal or something like that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have been hot compressing and I did stick a sterilized needle in to releave pressure in the fluid filled area and it did seem to relieve some and get less hard. Can she keep warm compresses- I put neosporin on it as well and I do have Clindamycin from a dog I have - it wasn't effective for an infection and we changed to a different antibiotic. So, I have these available and see dosage is 750mg for 135lb pig - My pig is probably around 100-110 lbs. Can I start him on antibiotics to keep it in check?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
3/1/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have to say that it would be ideal to have your sister-in-law take your pig into your vet. That way this abscess can be properly drained, flushed, the root problem (if it is due to a rotten tooth root) addressed, and the bacterial agent cultured to ensure you treat this with the most effective antibiotic. That would ensure all complications (ie pain, tissue scarring, spread into the blood stream, etc) are avoided. And I would note that you can ring your vet to give your sister-in-law permission to do so (and often vets will let them do so and leave the bill to be sorted on your return).

If that isn't an option, then she will need to continue the compresses and topical care you have are already using. As well, if it is draining, then we'd want to be gently expressing as much pus as possible from the abscess to reduce the bacterial load festering inside. In regards ***** ***** Clindamycin is one we do use for abscesses so it could be considered here. Of course, before doing so you need to make sure you have enough for a proper course of at least 7-10 days. This is because if we only half treat there is real risk of resistance developing (which is obviously not ideal). In regards ***** ***** we'd give a 100lb pig a daily dose of 500mg. So, that could be an option to use to try and reduce this infection at this stage.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already).IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)