Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Have a 600 cow dairy herd in NZ and have lost 2 cows in the…

Customer Question
Have a 600 cow dairy...
Have a 600 cow dairy herd in NZ and have lost 2 cows in the last 24 hours with blood in their urine. Cows are aged 3 years old. Blood tests were taken by vet which showed liver enzymes increased consistent with facial eczema (animals are drenched 3 times week with zinc) also third enzymes consistent with liver abscess which has burst and scattered infection around the body.
We are wondering about poisoning and if so with what, maybe a plant or too much nitrogen. They are fed grass, balage and on a crop of chicory that has been irrigated with wash down water from yard at cowshed.
Any thoughts ??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/27/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Do they look like their skin is peeling off?

Do any have yellowing gums?

When were they last wormed? Did you treat for fluke?

Can you take a photo of the eczema you are seeing? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.