Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a cow, just delivered calf a week ago. The cow is now…

Customer Question
I have a cow, just...
I have a cow, just delivered calf a week ago. The cow is now slow moving, laying around, major mucus coming from nose. Any idea what this could be and what I can do to help. Calf doing good. she drinks water eats some, but just not normal.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/26/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience: Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's the time of year when the weather can't decide if it's going to be warm or cold which leads to sick animals. A thick, colored discharge usually indicates a bacterial infection. It's not uncommon for cows to get sick following calving. It can be a major stress on the body.

Sometimes a uterine infection and a respiratory infection can go hand-in-hand, so check to see if there is any abnormal, odorous discharge from the vulva as well. If there is, this could require a stronger course of antibiotics. Most infections respond well to Penicillin at 1-2ml per pound given once a day for 4-5 days or oxytetracycline (LA 200) at the recommended dose for 2 doses. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you and good luck!