Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My potbellied pig was ok untill yesterday he squealed really…

Customer Question
My potbellied pig was...

My potbellied pig was ok untill yesterday he squealed really bad for bout 20 mins then wouldnt walk he feel over and couldnt stand up i have him in the house now , he is just lying there he hasnt really moved only shaking

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He is not eating and im giving him water via a bottle but he doesnt really want it , he wont move and seems to be having small seizure like movements , he was ok up untill yesterday , we changed his hay in his bed apart from that there is nothing different from his normally routine , he just fell sick suddenly

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/24/2016
Large Animal Vet: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

Can you tell me if you have checked the temperature? How high is it?

Any red spots on the body that you can see?

Has he been passing stool?

Joan

not yet we live way out in the country i am waiting on my partner bringing home a thermometer , no i dont see any red spots on him yes he went to the toilet yesterday before he fell ill , he feels cold too the touch and then after a while warm to the touch he is just lying very still he seemed to have the shakes yesterday but that has calmed down now i am trying to give him water via a bottle he is not eating

I would like to see you get the temp that is important. I would also like to see you start to give your Pig a 50/50 mixture of Dioralyte and water to drink. The Dioralyte is an electrolyte solution that should help prevent dehydration. One last thing I would like you to try now is to take a little Kayro syrup or Pancake Syrup on his gums. This will help with his glucose levels in case they have dropped with the shaking. I will wait for the Temperature to help further. Do not rate until we are done helping him.

Joan

How is the Pig doing? Wanted to check in since I did not hear anything further.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician