Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a newborn calf that the cow fell on looks like

Customer Question
I have a newborn...

I have a newborn calf that the cow fell on looks like possibly broken back any ideass

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Calf is trying to get up hind end not working I already feed it and gave it a banimine shot to help with pain

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/21/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does it seem weak in its hind end or can it not move those legs at all?

Can it stand if lifted?

If you pinch or stick a pin into one of the hind legs, can the calf feel it?

How much Banamine did you give? How long ago? How much do you estimate it weighs?