Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Calf loosing hair on face joint and also stiff in joints 4…

Customer Question
Calf loosing hair on face...
Calf loosing hair on face joint and also stiff in joints 4 weeks old and bottle fed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/16/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience: Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your calf! I have a couple questions for you. Has the calf had a Selenium/Vit E injection? If not, he needs one. Bo-se is a great choice. He would need 4-5 ml. Selenium deficiency is very common in babies and can cause stiff muscles and changes in hair coat.

My next question is are any of his joints swollen or hot? Is his navel swollen or hot? This could indicate an infection and he would need to be treated with antibiotics right away. Please see if you can take his rectal temperature as well. Normal temp should be around 101. Please let me know what you find out. Thank you and good luck!