Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a goat with bloat, how do i treat?

Customer Question
i have a goat with bloat, how do i treat?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/16/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience: Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Treatment of bloat depends on the cause. Most of the time bloat is caused by the food that's eaten, but sometimes it can be caused by a physical obstruction in or around the esophagus. Please check for any swellings on the neck.

If no obstructions are found, the best thing is to pass a stomach tube. Only do this if you are experienced because if the tube is passed into the lungs instead, it could be trouble. If a stomach tube is not an option, try drenching with vegetable or mineral oil, 1-2 cups per 100lb body weight. This helps to break down the foam inside the rumen and allow gas to escape. This can be repeated if necessary. Follow this with exercise to help further release gas.

If the animal is in immediate need, you may need to release some of the gas externally by using a large bore needle or tocar. The needle should be inserted on the left side in the space between the last rib and the hip, about 1.5-2 inches down from the backbone.

If none of these option work, it's best to see a veterinarian to pass a stomach tube or surgery may be needed to empty the rumen. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you and good luck!