Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My name is ***** *****, I have a 13/14 year old goat that

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** Phillips, I have a 13/14 year old goat that has started having hay/grass hanging out of his mouth. He can eat goat feed after I pull all the grass out. I wormed him just to make sure that wasn't the problem. What do you think I need to do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What more do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Large Animal Vets generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now while worms can certainly cause weight loss in our goats, they won't often cause the signs you are reporting. Instead, this inability to fully eat grass he is grazing suggests that we have an oral based issue. At his age, the most common cause is dental disease and tooth loss. That said, we can also see this secondary to oral infections, abscesses, tongue damage, and masses. As well, though much less common, we can also see this related to nerve or muscle dysfunction in the jaw.

With all this in mind, it'd be ideal to have his vet (or if you are keen) fully examine his mouth. If we have an infection, wound, or abscess; then antibiotics would be indicated. If we have a tumor or tooth loss; then those can be trickier since there isn't a cure for them. Still, our approach in those causes would be palliation. Often we find that feeding short chopped hay and high fiber pelleted feeds of benefit to get that fiber into him even if he cannot manage the long grasses. As well, we will sometimes use pain relief (ie non-steroidal anti-inflammatoreis) if we suspect discomfort. Together, we can often keep them comfortable for a good wee while.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.