Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My little boy dwarf goat has a swollen firey red penis and s…

Customer Question
My little boy dwarf goat...
My little boy dwarf goat has a swollen firey red penis and his testicles are all swollen up...what can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/3/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is he?

How long has he had these signs?

Can he retract his penis into his sheath? Or is it caught outside the sheath? Any swelling or pain?

Are his testicles hard, fluidy, or painful on palpation?

What is his rectal temperature?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Grazin is 5 months
Noticed yesterday he wasn't as active, back legs appeared to hurt him when he walks. This morning the symptoms of the swollen testicle bag and penis all red I found when I turned him over.
Testicles seem to be hard and painful.
I will take a rectal temperature and pics to send you...give me about 1/2 hour to complete please??

Thank you,

That is fine if you can do that, I will remain online awaiting those. In the meantime, since some of our concerns are going to be urgent issues, I would say that if you find the penis is very inflamed/swollen and stuck outside the sheath, do make sure to fully extend it, clean away any discharge/hair/debris at the base, and then you will need to replace the penis into the sheath. You may want to take some lubricant (ie KY is fine) to help you slide that back in. And keep an eye out for his being able to pass urine. Otherwise, I will keep an eye out for your photos so we can start narrowing down causes for this very serious situation.

Speak to you soon,

Dr. B.

What should I clean his private area with??

Hi again,

Luke warm soapy water is just fine. The external area of the penis isn't sterile, we just want to make sure if we have an extrusion and trapped penis, that we are sorting that our while you are with him since that is the biggest emergency differential for the signs you have reported. As well, we do just want to make sure he is urinating since blockage would be another concern. Aside from those, we do have some concerns in regards ***** ***** testicles and condition on the whole, but those are less urgent then those 2 we want to address while you are there (as opposed to seeing them, coming back to me, and then having to rush back out if you know what I mean).

Dr. B.

Do you have an email address I can send these to you for viewing??

Hello again,

I am afraid we are not permitted to give out email addresses. Still you should be able to see a paperclip icon over your text box + you can post photos using that. Or you can post the photos anywhere (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr, etc) and send me the web link here to follow.

Dr. B.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but want to leave my thoughts while you post those photos since I am quite concerned about Grazin.

Now I have to warn you that the majority of our differentials for these signs are quite serious. As well, as we discussed, some conditions need prompt intervention to for treatment success. Therefore, we need to tread with care.

Now hopefully he didn’t have an extruded penis here and it was replaced if it were. If we didn’t and its just irritated/inflamed and sticking out, I suspect he is protruding his penis due to general pain here. And that would raise concern of possible urinary blockage but could also be a feature of testicular based pain. In regards ***** ***** for those testicular signs and the pain, we’d be most worried about trauma (causing soft tissue inflammation +/- hematomas/bleeds) or infection (epididymitis). And while we can have hernias where intestine get into the scrotum, if this is hard and sudden then that is less likely here..

In regards ***** ***** if there is any doubt he cannot pass urine, its an emergency and we need him seen ASAP. Otherwise, if he can urinate and we are dealing with our testicular concerns, then we want to start treating this. To start, we can carefully use cool water packs may decrease testicular damage caused by local swelling and hyperthermia. Of course, be careful not to over chill the skin. Furthermore, we’d want him on injectable goat safe anti-inflammatory medication (ie Meloxicam, Flunixin, Ketoprofen, etc) urgently. These will reduce his pain and the inflammation. Though, just to note, do avoid any temptation to use Aspirin here, since it is a blood thinner and could be risky to use if we have an active bleed. To address a suspect infection we could start a broad spectrum antibiotic like Penicillin or Oxytetracycline. Due note that we usually need to treat infection in this tissue for a good few weeks (and even sometimes castrate them when that isn’t ideal to just remove the infection).

Overall, from what you have told me so far, we do have some serious concerns for your lad. Hopefully, the penis wasn’t compromised and he is passing urine since those are the major emergency differentials here. If those are ruled out, then we need to consider the above remaining issues and start treatment to reduce his pain and start trying to get this settled for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Hi again,

Just sending a wee note for your to find our conversation again, so you don't have to open a new question and be charged again. As well, I have sent a reply above just outlining my concerns thus far and what we need to do.

Dr. B.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tmayto/media/Grazin_zpsmqgxovjr.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Thank you,

Oh, the poor love.

In regards ***** ***** as long as he can pass urine (always need to be watchful of that with these lads), this looks most suspicious of an infection. Again though, we could see this if he has had a recent trauma or kick here.

Just to reiterate what I said above for approach, we'd want to carefully use cool water packs may decrease testicular damage caused by local swelling and hyperthermia. Of course, be careful not to over chill the skin. Furthermore, we’d want him on injectable goat safe anti-inflammatory medication (ie Meloxicam, Flunixin, Ketoprofen, etc) urgently. These will reduce his pain and the inflammation. Though, do avoid any temptation to use Aspirin here, since it is a blood thinner and could be risky to use if we have an active bleed. And to address infection we could start a broad spectrum antibiotic like Penicillin or Oxytetracycline but we tend to see better results with fluroquinolones (which would need to come from your vet). Due note that we usually need to treat infection in this tissue for a good few weeks (and even sometimes castrate them when that isn’t ideal to just remove the infection).

Overall, we do have a few concerns here for these signs but by appearance this looks to be less a penis issue and more a testicle issue. And again suspect we are seeing the penis as it is because he is so sore with this. So, we'd want to use the above to see if we can give him some relief and start settling this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grazin. How is everything going?
Dr. B.