Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a show pig that was perfectly fine yesterday and this…

Customer Question
I have a show pig...
I have a show pig that was perfectly fine yesterday and this am , got home this afternoon at 6 and she is struggling to stand seems stuff like an old man .... Never had this issue ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
This Showpig has never stressed , walked beautifully , never given us any trouble - got home today and she could barely stand ??
2/3/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Any chance of a fall, slip, or injury?

Does she favour any one leg?

Does she have a fever?

No slip, no fall, no fever

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, joint stiffness and gait abnormalities can be triggered by a range of issues. If she isn't favouring a single leg and there is no risk of trauma, then we would have to be wary of a possible systemic/joint based infection, tick borne infection (depending on your location), muscle based myopathy (which can be related to immune dysfunction), spinal disease (affecting the cervical vertebral region), brain based issues (viral, bacterial, protozoal or inflammatory meningitis), or possible toxicity (hopefully less likely here).

With all this in mind, we do need to tread with care. To start, we'd want to have her on strong pain relief to see if we can resolve her signs. Ideally, we'd want her vet to use a strong injectable option like Meloxicam, Carprofen, Flunixin, or Ketoprofen. If you have any delay in seeing them, since you noted no trauma risk, you could consider a low dose of buffered Aspirin (10mg per kilogram of her weight every 12 hours) given after food. Of course, if you use that, we'd need to keep a close eye on her and stop treatment if she has any stomach upset. Furthermore, even without fever, it'd be reasonable to cover her against bacterial causes for these signs. Ideally, we'd use a broad spectrum antibiotic like Penicillin (especially as it is effective against listeria, which is one possible bacterial species that could cause these signs) which most farm supply and vets carry. That way we can start narrowing causes for her sudden signs.

Of course, if she doesn't respond to broad spectrum treatment, then again we'd want to have her local vet involved. They can perform a neurological examination and pinpoint the source of her signs (brain vs. spine vs. muscle/limb based). Depending on that, they can target testing and treatment to identify which agent is present and get her signs under control. And the quicker we do that, the sooner we can get her back on her feet.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)