Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

If my pregnant (due to kid) doe only has one working teat.

Customer Question
If my pregnant (due to...
If my pregnant (due to kid) doe only has one working teat . previous mastitus)....wil the other bag get abnormally large and swollen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/3/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, her previous history with the one gland will not affect the other normal mammary gland. She will produce milk from that gland in response to the kid's milk demand not try to make up for the other's lack of function. So, we'd not expect the gland to become abnormally large but should be well developed. Though with only one functional gland, remember to keep an eye on her little one since some will need supplementation as well as mum's milk.

Now that aside, if she is sore and dripping blood from her teat already, then this is a warning of a possible mastitis here too. Therefore, it'd be worth having a milk sample tested and consider using an intramammary tube treatment (ie Synulox) into the mammary gland or potentially using a systemic/injectable antibiotic to help clear this for Bella and make sure this other gland isn't damaged by infection before her kid arrives.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. B.