Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Goat kid born yesterday. Today her back legs (hocks) are…

Customer Question
Goat kid born yesterday. Today...
Goat kid born yesterday. Today her back legs (hocks) are warm and slightly swollen warm to the touch. What do I give her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
1/31/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does she have a fever?

Did she get colostrum?

Is she showing any gait improvement?

I'm not sure if she has fever but had been nursing. This morning it just looks like one hock is sore so I'm assuming it's a naval infection?

Thank you,

Based on her signs, we do have a few concerns. We could be seeing signs of discomfort/joint inflammation from a difficult labor, from the hocks being held in an odd position in utero, or related to a joint ill. For the first two, time, using the legs, and warm compresses can often be all they need.

Though we would also want to cover against our infections concerns at the same time. Just to note, it is quite possible she has contracted this via a navel infection. Still, with her being this young, I'd question whether she has a bacteraemia (bacterial infection of the blood stream) that she contracted in utero. In either case, we'd want to start with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Procaine Penicillin G (which can be given at a daily dose of 10,000 IU/lb) or Oxytetracycline (given every other day at a rate of 9 mg/lb). You can check your local farm supply shop for these or you may need to have your local vet dispense this for you.

Overall, these would be our concerns for this wee lass. So, you can try the above to cover as many bases as possible and hopefully get these legs in order for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.