Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Is it feasible to use burdizzo clamp to castrate a 2 1/2

Customer Question

Is it feasible to use burdizzo clamp to castrate a 2 1/2 year old billy goat?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Unfortunately, it is not advisable to use a burdizzo on a buck this age. In fact, from an ethical standpoint, we don't like to use these past 3 months of age. Furthermore, legally speaking, it is not advisable to use this method in livestock over 6 months of age. So, for an adult full growth goat, we'd really want to have him surgically castrated with at least local anesthetic and pain relief.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )