Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My show pig started setting down on s rump as we were

Customer Question

My show pig started setting down on his rump as we were walking him then the next day he's dragging his back legs he can get up and walk some alright teacher called around and they said maybe he had too much protein into giving cracked corn only and see if he gets better
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My first concern for you pig is that either he has an unstable disc in his back, common in show pigs, or arthritis in his hips causing him pain. The treatment for this is Banamine given every 12 hrs at 2 ml per 100 pounds of his weight with a withdrawal period of 12 days. Dexamethasone is also useful instead of Banamine and is given at 1 cc per 40 pounds every 12 hrs with a withdrawal period of 8 days. This will really help but it all depends on the timing of the show.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****