Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** got a newborn calf born December 30th

Customer Question
Customer: Hi my name is...
Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** got a newborn calf born December 30th saved from hypothermia in 18degree temps. brought indoors got him up and nursing that eve. brought him in overnight put him out with mother during the day and overnight-bad idea relapsed with rapid short breaths, droopy ears, have him in now warmed up and still attempts to get up but want to wait till I get to town for fresh meds and other recomendations tomorrow.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no runny nose at present
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Large Animal Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
1/2/2016
Large Animal Vet: Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Good Evening, and thanks for your question. My apologies for the time you have had to wait in getting a reply. I just got in from a call, (and am getting ready to go out on another……) and saw your post.

Firstly, good job with the calf on getting him going. He surely wouldn’t have made it without your efforts! I’m assuming from your description that he was able to get his mother’s milk within his first 24 hours. This is a crucial time window where his rumen can absorb the necessary antibodies from the cow’s colostrum. If he didn’t get the colostrum during that time frame, honestly, his chances aren’t good.

A few questions for you: Is he up and moving at this point? Is he suckling? Has he passed any manure that you’re aware of? Can you get a temperature and heart rate on him? Also, was his mother vaccinated prior to calving? What area of the country are you in? Do you have any Selenium supplement (E Se or BoSe)? Any abnormal sounds when he’s breathing?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will get back to you as soon as I return, although it may be a few hours.

-Dan C., DVM

CountryDoc
CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian