Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a 3 yr old boer goat. 1 and 1/2 weeks ago, he started

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old boer goat. 1 and 1/2 weeks ago, he started walking very stiff like, almost limping. Local vet didn't know if foundered or not, gave us two doses of steroids to give him. He received his tetanus booster. Then they thought might be worms so gave us yesterday cydectin, as I checked and his lower eyes were pale pink. He has occasional cough and running nose and eyes..given him three doses of PCN, still coughing. He eats fine. But on occasion I see him hunch his stomach up and he grinds his teeth...I feel like we are missing something. He is a wether..and a family pet.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, forgot to tell you....he at first would not lay down...would just kneel on his front legs....but now on occasion will lay down..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

When did the hunching, paling gums, and grinding start? After the steroids?

Was a stool sample tested?

What color is the nasal discharge?

Any black or dark stools?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the hunching and grinding started about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago...I just noticed the light pink to pale lower eye lids on Sunday, 11/15.
Symptoms were before any medications given.... Steroids (just gave 11/12 and 11/15).
It started with him walking stiffly and limping, then noticed him kneeling on front knees with butt in the air, grinding his teeth, cough, runny nose (yellow to clear), eyes have been draining on/off for a few weeks (used ATB ointment from vet) not better. He was given his tetnas booster after this started.
The vet we spoke with didn't know if he foundered or not...and really doesn't know what is going on.
So he was given two doses of steroids so far.
Oral cydectin, 11/16
PCN daily x 4 daysNot getting better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No black or dark stools.....
No stool sample tested, they have been other goat farms around area with worms, so they thought should treat for it since he lower eye lids are very pale, a sign of anemia; which is they say is predominantly caused by worms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, just went out to check on him...he hunches his back and grinds teeth right before he urinated...stream was thinner than normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I do apologize that we seem to be playing time zone tag. Still, I do want to leave my thoughts for your lad’s signs. Especially since his grinding and hunching are red flags of significant pain for Lucky.

First, as you noted, we can see paling of mucous membranes with worms. Still, we can also see it with liver fluke (which Cydectin doesn’t cover). Therefore, it is always best to worm for all parasites +/- check a stool sample to ensure there are no resistant ones lurking that may not respond to what we are using. Otherwise, beyond parasites, we do also need to consider that we can see paling of the gums secondary to internal bleeds (ie due to stomach ulcers --which can present as hunching/grinding but usually black stool too) and possible poor perfusion (if we have gut twists -though this usually doesn't linger for weeks).

That all said, given your further information about his urination and his prayer position (which usually is used to take pressure off the abdominal contents –where the bladder is housed as well), we'd be worried we have a partial urinary blockage +/- urine crystals or stones in the bladder. We can also see bladder tumors, but usually these are in older goats. And while infection is a concern as well, we'd hope that that would have been addressed by the PCN. Therefore, we'd want to consider an ultrasound to see into the bladder and potentially may need his vet to catheterize him to check and remove any urethral blockages.

Overall, these signs to raise a range of concerns. Still, based on what Lucky is telling us, we need to be proactive to address his pain, the secondary issues, as well as look into the bladder/urethra. Depending on their findings, he may just need to be unblocked but if a crystal or stone issue is found, then he may need further treatment (medical but possibly surgical) to address this and prevent recurrence.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard that ammonium chloride is used to help goats with urinary stone/blockage...can this be utilized?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It can be as it is a urine acidifier. Though we'd need to first confirm the crystal/stone type and urine pH before use to determine if it would be indicated and helpful for Lucky.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )