CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

My goat was attacked by a coyote. Luckily my dog chased them

Customer Question

My goat was attacked by a coyote. Luckily my dog chased them off before my goat was killed. He had mostly nonlife threatening bites scrapes and a few puncture wounds to his face, neck, and head. I stopped the bleeding with stopblood powder, shaved around all the wounds, flushed the wounds with sterilized saline, cleaned them with iodine, applied antibiotic ointment and sprayed the wounds with aliumminum bandage. I also started giving him penicillin g (short acting) shots - 5cc's twice a day for 5 days and gave him a tetanus shot. After stopping the antibiotic injections i started spraying his wounds with granulex twice a day and he seemed fine, still eating drinking, walking around, having regular bowel movements but 4 days later I noticed one of the puncture wounds was oozing puss. I squeezed on it because I figured it was abscessed but not much came out. I decided to clean all the wounds again to see how they were healing because i smelled that stinky infection smell when I was petting him and his scabbed areas just wiped off revealing horrible infected rotting issue. Each wound had infection under the hardened top layer and they basically just fell off with little effort while I was cleaning the wounds. My mother came over with her medical tools and cleaned out the wounds, the worst was located on the back of his neck and is at least 2" deep 3-4" wide. She cut off all the rotten flesh on the outside and inside, then flushed it out. She wanted to pack it like you treat aa patient with a bed sore but due to the location and lack of appropriate tape she couldn't. I didn't know what to do. After disinfecting it I just sprayed it with granulex. He has fine during all this and didn't even try to get up while she was removing the rotten tissue. Mom said its because he couldn't feel it since the tissue was dead. Anyways...please help!! I have no idea what else to do or if I even did the right thing in the first place. I started him back on the pen g last night (after we finished cleaning the wounds). What do you suggest? I'm worried about gangrene. The goats still happy as can be and isn't acting sick but I'm really worried
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that it really matters but Ive also been giving him probiotic to help reduce stress. I gave him some punch drench to help too and added electrities mix to his water to help him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Be glad to phone you back on this ...

Please stand by ...

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to but I can't now. I'm at work.

No problem, is there a more suitable time I can call you back?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get off til 7a

OK I am in a different time zone to you so unfortunately I will not be able to make that time.

I will opt out now so another vet can help you out later.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been more than 24 hours since I asked my question and I still haven't received an answer. I took the goat to the vet today so I don't require assistance any longer and will be requesting a refund