Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Is it possible that a Positive test could be caused by a

Customer Question

Is it possible that a Positive test for PI could be caused by a modified live virus vaccination?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the potential effects of the modified live vaccination on testing depends on when she was vaccinated and what test was actually done. If the heifer was tested within 3 weeks after vaccination using a test that checked for antibodies or immunohistochemistry (IHC), then it is possible to get a vaccine induced false positive and a confirmation test (ie an Antigen-ELISA, PCR, virus isolation, etc) should be checked once that >3 weeks post vaccination period has passed to make sure that test result is valid. Of course, in the meantime, the heifer should be isolated and barrier nursed to reduce any risk to the herd until the confirmation results are available.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )