CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a new pot bellied pig. Ive had her days and shes only

Customer Question

I have a new pot bellied pig. Ive had her for six days and shes only eaten one of those days and she nibbled the first three. Now, shes not eating and has diarrhea. Her temp is 100.4. No coughing. Just no appetite. I got milk replacement and gave some thru dropper to make sure she doesnt dehydrate, tho she will drink a little bit. Shes a mini pig and the runt. The lady said she was eating on her own just fine but hasnt since I got her home. What else can I do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother also got a pig from same litter. His is eating just fine. Seems like mine is only one. Im wondering if it would help to take mine over to his house and let her stay for a day or two with other pig? The diarrhea concerns me tho. She threw up day before yesterday everything she ate the day before...(the only day she ate well) Then she nibbled on a few cheerios. Today, nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said estimated wait time was eight minutes? Its been a bit. Id like to know if you will call me or send info here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie toys, rocks, plants,chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shes a pink pig so her gums are pink like her. I cant tell if they are pale. Her poo is yellow/brown and watery. She doesnt seem like her tummy hurts pressing on it because she hasnt made a fuss when I pick her up. The only thing I can think of that could have gotten in her mouth is when she burrows in the litter. It WAS the cheap rocky kind when I first got her. Since then, I have changed to the sandy kind. She seems fine other than the diarrhea and not eating. I did, however, take her to my brother last night who has a pig. She got real happy and tried to snuggle with his pig. She even hate a few grain. Not a handful, mind you..but maybe a tablespoon of grain. I couldnt leave her with pig because she was dripping slightly on floor and his pigs bed. The water droplets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She keeps opening her mouth a lot and smacking a little.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no plants around her...no chemicals...she tried to nibble on cat food at one time and I removed it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO blood in stool. Before it became watery, its just a yellowish brown substance. She smears it and rubs butt on floor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pig is Sick NOW and Ive already been charged. I asked for a phone call so that I dont have to answer questions and then wait all day for an answer. She just took 5 or 6 tsps of milk replacement from dropper pretty well but still not eating. She peed in the litter box and drank some water, laid back down. Im still waiting for an answer to what I can do. Is she in danger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refund my money. All you did was ask me questions and my pig died today. Thankyou for your time. Refund my money please. You can call me at(###) ###-####