Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My goat River got her foot (between dewclaws and hoof) stuck

Customer Question

Hi, my goat River got her foot (between dewclaws and hoof) stuck in some baling twine sometime today. It was wrapped around twice, in a bit of a slip knot so when she struggled it pulled tighter. She was stuck when I came home. I untangled it (and removed the twine from their pasture) and she is limping around. Not quite herself and slow, but still very interested in her dinner. It feels very hot, but not super swollen yet. That foot seems very tender compared to her other feet when I handle it. There is not any visible injury to treat, but I don't know how long she had the twine wrapped around her foot. Where she was in the pasture makes me think at least a couple of hours, since I know their patterns of moving through it.
Is there anything I should do for her tonight? Should I just wait and see if it develops or get her to the vet tomorrow? She's up to date on CDT. Due for worming and copper.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did she have any bleeding or bruising where the twine had been?

Is it swollen above or below where the twine had constricted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bleeding (not even any significant hair loss) and I can't see any bruising. She's got dark skin (she's got the light chocolate gene instead of black, but her skin is still brownish dark pink. Not sure what to call that color), so it's hard to see bruising in any case. I was considering shaving her foot to see if I could get a better look. It's about to get cold here, so I've been avoiding clipping their hair outside a dairy cut and the shagginess is not helping. She just doesn't want me touching that foot at all, so it would be difficult.There is not a whole lot of swelling, just a bit where the twine was actually wrapped. It's still hotter than her other feet this morning, but not as obvious. There is no swelling above where the twine was. I am not sure if the hoof can swell, but it doesn't seem obviously swollen. She will put weight on it, but is limping a bit. She's not holding it up all the time, just spending less time on that foot. She is very calm and even tempered, so she might have just stood there and not started struggling too much until she saw me. As I said, it's tender. She doesn't want me touching it and she is usually very good about having her feet handled (for a goat, no kicking or laying down, she'll usually just try to pull her foot away a little and then give up. She's the best of mine at hoof trims). Her milk production was way off this morning (she's usually my best milker by a lot, but was about average for my herd today), but that could just be from the stress of getting stuck and then having me fuss over her.I have a vet that will treat goats, but I have not found one who knows a lot about them around here, so I do most of my own care. I can take her in to get Banamine, but he probably will not do anything else. I would like to know if I need to pester him to do more. I really don't think it's broken, I was more worried about issues from the blood supply being cut off and me not knowing how long she'd been out there. I have this nightmare scenario in my head where her foot goes gangrenous and has to be amputated. I thought about giving her some Tetanus antitoxin last night but didn't. She's up to date on her CDT, so should have some immune protection that way.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I do apologize that we are playing a bit of timezone tag.

Anyway, I would say that it is understandable that she isn't keen to have this handled, as it will be sore. And if she is tender, I'd be suspicious of at least some bruising along with swelling from the constriction (which will continue to reduce now that circulatory flow has been restored). Though we do need to keep a close eye on this over the next few days since your worry is a valid concern. Long term occlusion of the blood flow to tissues can lead to serious damage and sloughing. But since the swelling sounds to be reducing already, we' d hope that this will not be the case for River.

So, in regards ***** ***** we can do treatment-wise, we'd want to rest her in a small deeply bedded pen with easy access to food/water. As well, I would advise treating her with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (ie Flunixin, Banamine, Meloxicam, etc). Just to note, I would avoid Aspirin (since it is a blood thinner) in this situation. And while there is no indication at the moment, you could chooseto cover with a broad spectrum antibiotic to cover bases (just in case we have had a microscopic tissue breech) but that would mean discarding her milk. So, that is at your discretion based on what you are seeing here.

Overall, this doesn't sound severe and therefore we'd want to medically manage her discomfort while monitoring her over the next few days. Do keep an eye out for any furthe discoloration or changes to the skin. As long as we don't see those, we'd expect this to normalize, heal and become more comfortable for her to walk on again.

All the best for River,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)