Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

This question is. Loretta ONLY! Goat has a hard time

Customer Question
This question is for Dr...
This question is for Dr. Loretta ONLY!
Goat has a hard time standing on back feet, legs are stiff. Why?
Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Georgia
Dog's Gender: Male
Dog's Age: 5
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
I could not open your answerūüėí
9/25/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

At this age, there are a couple possibilities for your guys condition. The first is that he has injured himself causing an unstable disc in his back that affects the nerve supply to his rear legs. The treatment for this is aspirin at 3 mg per pound every 12 hrs. You should see improvement within a day. It also may be that he has severe arthritis that has been aggravated and the treatment for this is the same. If your guy does not respond, have your vet examine him to see if we missed something such as a metabolic disease or neurologic condition.

Certainly, check his feet for any sign of disease. Infection such as Encephalitis which is in the Central Nervous system will become progressive and move up to the front legs. Your vet can determine this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

24 Sept 2015, 10:55 AM

After I got home yesterday and observed him more it looks like he is not able to urinate. Can it be Urinary calculi maybe. And if it is what can I do to help him at home til the vet sees him? He is obviously in pain and pawing too.

Yes, it certainly could be Urinary Calculi and this can be dangerous for him. If he is a bit humped in the middle and you have seen him straining, you have to get this calculi removed right away or his bladder could burst. Try the aspirin because it will not hurt him but keep him in an area that is isolated where you can monitor his urine output, if any....if he strains with nothing coming, call your vet right away. Only removal of te urine from his bladder can keep the bladder from bursting and only your vet can do this safely.

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian